- 150g plain flour
- 80g margarine
- 6 tbsp SPLENDA® Granulated
- 300ml skimmed milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 350g mixed fruits like strawberries, redcurrants, kiwi, grapes, apples
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Place the flour and margarine in a large bowl. Use a table knife to cut the margarine until it is in small pieces. Then rub it in completely with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir through 2 tbsp of the SPLENDA® Granulated.
- Bring everything together with 4 tbsp of cold water to form a ball of pastry. Let it rest whilst making the crème patisserie.
- Place the milk in to a small pan. Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Add the pod and seeds to the milk and warm it gently.
- Stir together the yolks, flour and 4 tbsp SPLENDA® Granulated. When the milk is warm, pour over the yolk mixture, whisking it thoroughly until smooth. Pour back in to the pan and place back over the heat. Cook the custard, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Bubble for 2-3 minutes. Make sure that you scrape around the edges of the pan with a spoon whilst you whisk at the same time. Top with a sheet of grease proof and cool.
- Roll the pastry and line 4 individual tart tins around 12cm in diameter, line with parchment and weight with baking beans. Bake for 15 minutes until the pastry is crisp. Remove the paper and cool.
- Spoon the crème patisserie in to the pastry case and spread until it fills the case.
- When you are ready to serve top the tarts with a selection of fruits.