St. Clements shortbread
A humble, crumbly classic with a hint of citrus.
- 50g/2oz butter, softened
- grated zest of 1 clementine
- 1 clementine
- 6g SPLENDA® Granulated
- 1 egg yolk
- 75g/3oz plain flour
- 50g/2oz ground almonds
- 2tbsp lemon curd
- Mix the butter, clementine zest and SPLENDA® together until creamy, then beat in the egg yolk.
- Add the flour and ground almonds and stir until the mixture begins to bind together, then knead lightly until it binds completely.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth.
- Roll out thinly and cut into 10 50mm/2in rounds. Prick all over with a fork and place on a baking sheet.
- Gather up the trimmings, knead lightly together, roll out as before and cut more 50mm/2in rounds.
- Using a 30mm/1¼in cutter, remove the centre from each round. Lay the rings on a baking sheet. Repeat until you have a matching number of rounds and rings - approx 8 -10.
- Bake in a pre-heated moderate oven at 180C/350F for 12 minutes then remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheets.
- When cool spread a little lemon curd on each disc and gently press a ring on top of each.
- Peel the clementine, divide into segments and place a segment in the centre of each of the biscuits.